The mission of the Stamford Public Schools (SPS) is to cultivate productive habits of both the mind and heart in every student. SPS comprises nearly 16,000 students, over 1,500 professionals, and 21 schools including seven magnet schools and three International Baccalaureate sites. SPS has a total of 13 elementary schools, five middle schools, and three high schools.
SPS is proud that our district is as rich in diversity as it is in talent. We have students from many cultural backgrounds and geographic locations - as demonstrated by the more than 65 languages spoken in the homes of our families. SPS offers students a learning experience rich in cultural diversity and reflective of the global society in which they will work and live.
Stamford offers high school students more than 350 courses, including more than 50 Advanced Placement and UCONN Early College Experience Courses, which provide students the opportunity to earn college credits while in high school.
As the world begins to evolve into a technology-dependent society, Stamford has already been adapting by incorporating more STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) programs in the core curriculum. This will help better prepare students to succeed in the quickly changing jobs market. One of the hallmarks of the Stamford Public Schools system is the Academy of Information Technology and Engineering or AITE, which offers challenging academic courses, as well as electives in information technology, architecture & engineering, Bio-medical sciences, and digital arts.
Stamford's public schools consistently rank among the best public schools in the state and the country. In 2018, AITE was ranked nationally at #90 on the Best Magnet High Schools list, #749 on the Best Public High Schools list, and #413 on the Most Diverse Public High Schools list. Other national lists included Best College Prep School, Best High School for STEM, and Best Public High School Teachers. In Connecticut, it was the #1 Magnet High School, #5 Most Diverse Public High School, and #12 on the Best Public High schools list. It was also the #11 Best Magnet School in the New York City Area. Click here to view all AITE rankings.
8 Elementary Schools
1 Technical High School
Magnet & Private Schools
5 Magnet Elementary Schools
1 Magnet High School
11 Private Preschools
16 Private Elementary Schools
Stamford University Branches
- Norwalk Community College (15 min drive)
- Manhattanville College (20 min drive)
- Fairfield University (25 min drive)
- SUNY Purchase College (25 min drive)
- Iona College (25 min drive)
- SUNY Westchester Community College (25 min drive)
- The College of New Rochelle (25 min drive)
- Sarah Lawrence College (30 min drive)
- Sacred Heart University (30 min drive)
- Pace University Westchester (30 min drive)
- University of Bridgeport (30 min drive)
- Concordia College (30 min drive)
- Fordham University (35 min drive)
- Yale University (45 min drive)
- Columbia University (50 min drive, 1 hr public transport)
- New York University (1hr 10 min public transport)
- Cooper Union (1hr 10 min public transport)
- Julliard School (1hr 10 min public transport)